Friday, April 1, 2011

Spring into crafts! Part 1: Crown of Roses

It's spring time! And what better way to enjoy the warmer weather then by hiding inside and crafting all day? Ok, I admit it, there are probably some better things I could be doing with myself. But, nature played a mean April fools joke today and gave me snow. So I gave it roses.

Tons of crafts were added on my "wanna-do" list recently. The idea for a flower crown is not only new but jumped up to the top of my list. I knew I wanted it to be something that would last forever so it of course had to be made of cloth flowers. What would the rest of it would be made of? No clue! Regardless, I knew that cloth flowers could be a bit expensive so I planned to subscribe to the craft store Michael's flyer and wait patiently. But, by a stroke of luck, just as I went in today to subscribe it seemed there was a 40% off sale on all their spring flowers! In truth, I'm not very good at waiting, so I just went right ahead and got what ever I thought would be useful. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the raw materials so I'll just list what I got.

  • 1 spool of beige wired ribbon
  • Plastic with wire center branches
  • Cloth flowers
  • Strands of pearls on "fishing wire". (It's really a decorative piece for flower arrangements.)
  • Two shades of pink, small roses
  • Hot glue gun

When I got home, I still wasn't quite sure how everything would come together. But I rest assured knowing that, have glue gun, can craft. And show I began glue gunning my little heart out. It took me a while but I was able to bend and mold the branches into a base circle.



After that I added in the strands of beads. I didn't want them to be too over powering so I only placed a few.



I got so carried away when I started adding the flowers that I didn't even think to get a picture of it in process so heres the finished product!




The flowers make something of a swoop moving from the right to the left. I really think they're gorgeous and look very delicately placed. It reminds me so much of this wicker wreath I once had as a child. At some point I decided it was ugly and threw it out! I can't believe myself now, recreating it in this piece. The pearls that I was worried would be overbearing where hardly noticeable in the end! This is even after adding two more strands after the flowers were all on. I also added the wire ribbon around the back of the piece. I wasn't sure what I would use it for when I bought it, but I knew it would be handy. I ended up using it to cover the base of the twigs, which were a bit unsightly. Even still, I love the loo of it and would of probably added it anyway.

And now a few shots of me wearing it! I quickly threw something other then my T-shirt on and neglected make-up. Sorry I look so dead. I was smiling! I swear! I guess starting work at 5:30 just sort of buries anything other then an ear to ear smile.



Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Love thisssss ♥ It's so perfect for spring! I'll have to make myself one (or two) too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You really should make one, it wasn't that hard at all. Just took some patience and planning for where to place things. I want to make more in other colors too. I'm thinking cream? Also, I just noticed theres a twig sticking up out of my head -_-. I"ll have to fix that.

    ReplyDelete