Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring into Crafts! Part 2: Rose Scrap Barrette

I don't know if I can rightfully call this a second installment of my spring into crafts series.  It might be more of a 1.5, but I'll just call it 2 anyway.

Sunday, doped up on pain killers from an injury the day  before I went for a stroll through the woods.  The weather was gorgeous, and there were threats of rain in coming days, so I decided to take advantage and dress up a little too.  It was definitely a bad decision to go for a walk with my injured back.  But at the time I didn't understand just how hurt I was.  After all, pain killers make you feel GREAT! Here's a few pictures from the day.







Strolling through the woods made be really wish I had my rose crown with me.  Unfortunately, as lovely as it is, it isn't very practical for simple outfits.  Seeing as I had so many little bits and pieces left over I thought that I could make another hair piece with the same feel as my crown, but would be much more appropriate for day to day life.  

First, I gathered my tools: Scissors, left over scraps, glue gun, and well, I needed a barrette clip so I decided to salvage one from a clip I hardly ever wear.


Next, I bundled my little twigs together and held them with a bit of glue.  I was so concentrated though I forgot to pause for a picture.  Luckily I remembered to take a moment and capture my progress once I added the flowers.



The flowers where much easier to attached for this clip then for the crown.  All I had to do was arrange them how I wanted and slid them through a space in the twigs instead of placing each one in a specific spot.  I hit the base of each rose with a dab of glue and they weren't going anywhere.

Next I trimmed the stems to create an even base.

It may look a bit like a hot glue mess underneath.  Don't worry, it will all be hidden by the barrette clip, and also give it a little more to hold on to.


When attaching a barrette clip there is one main thing to look out for.  On both sides of your clip there should be two small holes.  These are there so that your glue can seep through them a little and create a stronger hold.  Be sure to apply a little more glue to these areas.

Here's the finished hair clip both worn and on it's own.  There are a few twigs sticking out that could make it look a little more messy then I want.  Luckily the material I used for them has a wire center, allowing me to bend them into place and look more orderly.




Did you know it's nearly impossible to take a decent picture of the back of your head?  Maybe it's just me, but it took me about 25 tries just to get the crummy shot you see above.  

The spring has made me fall in love with these floral pieces and I'm trying to find new ways to incorporate flowers into every part of my life.  Has spring inspired anything in you?  Have you started any new projects with the change of weather?  Let me know in the comments below!

Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. This is so cute! I really love that it has the same look as the flower crown, but in a much more wearable way. You could wear this with normal clothes or even to work, not to mention with a handful of other street fashions!

    ReplyDelete